When do I need to apply for a new ESTA?

Article author

A new travel authorization may be required in any of the following circumstances:

  • The traveler is issued a new passport
  • The traveler changes his or her name
  • The traveler changes his or her gender
  • The traveler's country of citizenship changes; or
  • The circumstances underlying the traveler's previous responses to any of the ESTA application questions requiring a "yes" or "no" response have changed.

Travel authorization approvals will typically be granted for a period of two years or until the applicant's passport expires, whichever is sooner. ESTA will provide validity dates upon approval of the application. Therefore, a traveler must apply for a new travel authorization when a prior ESTA authorization or an applicant's passport expires. The associated fee will be charged for each new application submitted.

Was this article helpful?

Have more questions? Submit a request



Please sign in to leave a comment.